Follow Graham on Twitter

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Transverse Myelitis and Toenails

I just cut my toenails for the first time in a long time. Why is something so ordinary, so complex? Major achievement scrunching myself up, and remembering to breathe at the same time. Taking exquisite care not to damage anything, given the compromised healing. And the actual nails are so tough!
Generally my skin on my legs has dried over the last 5 years, despite careful eating and regular massage, and I do worry about possible damage or breakdown. My toenails have born the brunt of this. You just can't help banging into things when you are wobbly, and not in total control. I have had to deal with bruising, but also had to deal with what looks like fungal infection under the nails. I guess you get these things when you are  immobile, and live in a tropical climate. We try to swim most days - perhaps for only 20 minutes or so, and I am sure the chlorine is helpful - but conversely dries out the skin.
I have been taking supplements, which includes a fish oil capsule, and this seems to help. However, too much of that and I get loose motions.
Ah well, life is tricky, and no-one said it would be easy.

Ah well, a New Year's triumph. I realise none of you needed to know that...
Happy New 6th TM year....


If you want to read about my original experiences, it will cost you.... Only $13 plus postage and packaging. http://www.familyconcernpublishing.com.au/products-page/

If that is too much let me know. I can make a pdf available - somewhat more cheaply...

No comments:

Post a Comment